Monday, January 3, 2011

A New Year

A new year already? 2010 is finished? Where did 365 days go? It's hard to imagine that 2010, 2009, 2008, and so on are gone forever. I've been dwelling a lot on the fact that 2010 is now over and found myself wishing time would just slow down for a bit, fearful that life is moving a bit too fast for my liking. In the past 5 years I met the man of my dreams, fell in love, found an amazing church body and community, got married, bought a house, finished college, and had a baby. Don't get me wrong, I truly love it. I love my job and where God has me right now. I love this season of early mornings, tiny fingerprint-coated everything, lazy evenings with my hubs after a long day of running around with my little one. But I fear it's moving too fast. Candidly, it's been keeping me awake at night, fearing what the future holds for us, fearing that that sooner or later I am going to be 80 years old with zero kids in the house, no husband and wishing I was 20 again. Sad (and sinful), right? But in my sinfulness and conviction, God reminded me this morning exactly what I needed to cling to as we approach this new year. And every year.

In the wasteland, a howling wilderness, He encircled [Jacob], He instructed him, He kept him as the apple of His eye. As an eagle stirs up its nest, hovers over its young, spreading out its wings, taking them up, carrying them on its wings, so the Lord alone led them. Even to your old age, I am He, and even to gray hairs I will carry you! I have made, and I will bear; even I will carry, and I will deliver you.
He restores my soul; He leads me in the paths of righteousness for His name's sake. Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil; for You are with me; Your rod and Your staff, they comfort me.
The Lord will guide you continually, and satisfy your soul in drought, and strengthen your bones; you shall be like a watered garden, and like a spring of water, whose waters do not fail.
For this is God, our God forever and ever; He will be our guide even to death. Who teaches like Him?

Psalm 107:7; Deuteronomy 32:10-12; Isaiah 46:4; Psalm 23:3-4; Isaiah 58:11; Psalm 48:14; Job 36:22, emphasis added

So in this new year I am challenged once more to live purposefully. Here are my resolutions for 2011:

1. Love the Lord and His Word more - spend more intimate time alone with Him and carving out time regularly to memorize and cherish His word
2. Grow deeper in my knowledge of Christ - read through the Bible
3. Make my home a peaceful and worship filled place of refuge to all who enter
4. Read a book a month - Thanks Anne for some suggestions to add to my list!
5. Live fearlessly and freely in Christ - clinging to Scripture in times of doubt and trusting that He is sovereign and He alone is good.
6. Spend more time praying with my husband and son
7. Spend more time outside
8. Grow an awesome vegetable garden - I got 2 new books for Christmas and our composting is in the works...I'm very excited :)
9. Drink more water
10. Lower my grocery bill without sacrificing proper & natural nutrition

What are some of your New Year Resolutions? Leave a comment and share some, or link to your blog where you've posted yours!

1 comment:

  1. You've inspired me to write my goals for the year down! Here they are:

    http://lovebeyondknowledge.blogspot.com/2011/01/what-i-want-to-accomplish-in-2011.html

    Happy New Year!

    Anne

    ReplyDelete