Sunday, January 9, 2011

GREAT find: DAVE of Brier Creek

One of my goals this year is to cut our grocery bill but still buy local, fresh and all natural foods. So in my mission to find a egg/milk/meat provider I came across Dave. I know, sounds a little sketch. But let me just tell you about Billy and I's new favorite person. I found him on Craigslist when searching for local eggs. He is a software engineer in Chapel Hill and moved to 2 acres of land about 2 years ago. He decided he needed something to put on his land so he randomly bought chickens. Luke found them fascinating and wanted to catch them so badly... maybe it will motivate him to walk ;) So back to Dave. He's been doing research and has learned how to feed his chickens off of his gigantic garden in the summer and uses cracked corn in the winter...resulting in beautiful, large, fresh and hormone free eggs! We worked out a deal and he gave me 18 eggs for just $2 today. Woohoo!

THEN we found out that he keeps a fantastic pesticide & fertilizer free garden in the Spring, Summer & Fall. He uses special red worms that create a natural fertilizer for gardens and double the size of your veggies. What's even better? If you use the compost of the worms (which is the natural fertilizer) and mix it with molasses and water then spray it on your plants, it kills several diseases and pests that tend to ruin gardens in the south. Sounds kind of crazy, but pretty amazing! He is going to show us how to raise our own worms (a little gross..but worth it) so we can have a great garden and he's going to help us get our garden started this Spring! We are very excited and thankful for our new friend, Dave. Last night Billy and I spent about an hour planning out our garden plots and what vegetables we'll be growing where...I'm very excited :)

No comments:

Post a Comment