Wednesday, November 6, 2013

Family favorite

Often times I get the idea to blog.  You know, sit down an write a post start to finish.  And then after the flood of ideas and wondering where to start I realize that there is not a single thought in my head that make a coherent sentence by the time I actually have the time to SIT DOWN and write a single blog post.  True story.  You would be astonished at how long it took me to write the above three sentences which are more than likely grammatically INcorrect.

But hey, since we are on a roll....

You know what I love?  Food.  You know what I love more?  Chocolate.  That's true, but not where I was going with this.....

I love blessing those whom I love with food.  One of the most satisfying things for me is to get up early before my family (which lets be honest.. It's a pretty rare occurrence since I have a 3 1/2 yr old 5 am wake up call) to feed them a warm meal.  

Side note: have we mentioned I have 2 small boys and 1 large boy who eat us out of house. and. home.  So praise the dear LORD these children of mine love oatmeal.  No, but really.  They do.  By the bowls full.  Especially when it is stuffed with fresh peaches, warm cream and a tad bit of vanilla.  

Back to warm breakfasts.  This summer a favorite was fresh peaches n' cream oatmeal.  I don't like oatmeal, as its not generally something associated with chocolate, but if I did I am confident I would love this combo.  At other favorite is homemade pop tarts.  Sounds scary, but it's not so bad.  I will share the recipe soon.  But seeing as we are halfway through this glorious North Carolina fall, I'm going to share with you a family favorite from my favorite cookbook at the moment, Deliciously Organic.  Enjoy!

Pumpkin Muffins, by Deliciously Organic
4tbsp unsalted butter, softened
2 tbsp coconut oil
1 1/3 cups whole cane sugar or Sucanat
1/2 cup puréed pumpkin
2 large eggs, room temperature
1 3/4 cups whole wheat pastry flour (we love King Arthur)
1/4 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp sea salt
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
1/4 tsp ground cloves
1/3 cup whole buttermilk
1/2 cup chopped pecans (optional-but so good!)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F

In mixer bowl, beat together butter, coconut oil, and sugar on medium-high speed for about two minutes.  Turn mixer to low and add the pumpkin.  Add eggs one at a time, blending well after each addition.  Mix in vanilla.

Combine flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, and cloves in a large bowl.  With the mixer on low, add half of the dry ingredients, followed by half of the buttermilk.  Repeat process and mix until just combined.  Fold in pecans.  Spoon batter into oiled muffin cups until 3/4 full.  Bake 23-25 minutes, or until golden brown.  Cool for 5 minutes before serving.  


And that's that!  This recipe makes 16 muffins.  We usually double and freeze for another day.  Check out the freeze post for an interesting twist on fresh muffins!!

No comments:

Post a Comment