Saturday, January 21, 2012

The Pros of Having [another] Big Baby

1. More to squish and cuddle.
2. Big babies are generally less lazy eaters.
3. Big babies (from my limited experience) love their nighttime sleep.
4. He will be able to fit into all of Luke's baby clothes, and might actually be able to wear newborn size for longer than 1 week.
5. By the time he is born his total weight alone will be 1/3 of my total weight gained. Yay for fitting into my clothes a little more quickly.
6. He will be able to wear cloth diapers pretty quickly.
7. He will not feel out of place among his big brother, big dog, and big father.
8. Did I mention more to squish and cuddle? :D

What can I say. We make big babies.

I'm not sure what I was expecting this time. Actually, I do. I was expecting many things. That by counting my calories, watching the scale, staying active (as if there's an option when raising a two year old) and walking two miles on a regular basis I would have a smaller baby. Not only would I have a smaller baby, that I would actually go into labor with my smaller baby. And early, of course. This time around I consumed less - and healthier - calories (With the exception of a few pepperidge farm 3 layer chocolate cakes ...). I watched the scale very carefully each week. I was and am extremely active with my sweet boys. And I am still at 37.5 weeks pregnant vigorously walking a solid 2+ miles multiple times a week. And let me tell you folks - our baby is not smaller; It is very unlikely that I will go into labor; and early is laughable.

At 28 weeks we knew he was in the 66 percentile, which on a bell curve really isn't that bad or big. My belly has measured appropriately and my weight has been glamorous considered to the gluttony with Luke. At this past appointment I was hoping for huge things - a shrimp on the ultrasound screen, more dilation, that he dropped - I was trying to convince myself that surely she would do an exam and send us on over to the hospital. But let's be honest, deep down I knew this wouldn't be the case. I was so hoping for different results but really in my heart I was prepared for what she would say. At 37 weeks our sweet one is measuring at 39 weeks. I'm chuckling as I write this. On the ultrasound screen he measures at 7 lbs 9 oz but both the ultrasound tech and the dr. are giving us a more realistic estimate of 7 lbs 14 oz. Sweet of them :) My cervix - is that weird to talk about? - is still far back and hasn't shown any signs of being ready give up Everett. Everett is still high, minus 2 station. And Lord have mercy, this little boy's cheeks are CHUBBY! I'm so ready to snuggle on him!

I was frustrated and annoyed. Very disappointed, but unsure of why exactly. We have been praying for a healthy baby boy, right? He is indeed very very healthy. After taking some time to process what this means for delivery I finally figured out what has and is frustrating me the most. We have to decide his birthday. January 30 being an induction or February 1 being a c-section. I don't want to decide. I want to surrender this and say, Lord bring him into this world when you want! But at the end of the day, we still have to decide between these two dates. We have to look at all the options, all the risks associated with the two, all the risks that can be eliminated with the two, the recovery options, and then choose his birthday. And. I. Hate. It. My mind reels with the "what if's" not because I think of what could happen, but because I think of what did happen. And with every "what if" there is an explanation of how this could and more than likely will go differently. So then I'm just back to having to choose between the two. After processing all of the above and praying fervently for clarity we've decided on inducing at 39 weeks, which is January 30. We feel very confident in our Dr's recommendation and we are excited to meet him so soon. Luke has big plans for baby Everett. So far they include giving him his lovey, showing him his Curious Buddies DVD, helping rock his car seat if he is crying and showing him library time with Miss Martha. He also talks about playing rough with Everett and giving him bubble bellies.

No comments:

Post a Comment