Sunday, January 1, 2012

Choosing love.

So this post was going to start out drastically different. "Getting ready for baby." Which may or may not have included a passive aggressive form of venting; Built up frustration over the little things in life, words that hurt, things that have pushed me a little over the edge while big, hormonal and pregnant and getting things ready for our sweet new baby. And while getting my uglies out to my husband the other night and letting him know just how mad I was (not at him) and how I genuinely didn't know how to handle the things and people I was hurt by, I was quite perturbed by his oh-so-holy answer. So much so I think I rolled over, closed my eyes and went to sleep while he was telling me the appropriate response. I wish I was kidding. Insert shout out to awesome-patient-forgiving-husband here.

And as He usually does, God spoke to my heart this afternoon and it's just too good not to share. I could go on and on about our baby boy Everett and how we're ready for him to come. But this, this treasure from the Word, is far more satisfying to our hungry souls than ooh's and ahh's over some free fabric I turned into a bassinet skirt and the reasons why we named our baby Everett.

"Therefore, as God's chosen people, holy and dearly loved, clothe yourselves with compassion, kindness, humility, gentleness and patience. Bear with each other and forgive whatever grievances you may have against one another. Forgive as the Lord forgave you. And over all these virtues put on love, which binds them all together in perfect unity. Let the peace of Christ rule in your hearts, since as members of one body you were called to peace. And be thankful. Let the word of Christ dwell in you richly as you teach and admonish one another with all wisdom, and as you sing psalms, hymns and spiritual songs with gratitude in your hearts to God. And whatever you do, whether in word or deed, do it all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through him."
Colossians 3:12-17

So. My response has to be love, right? I choose compassion. I choose kindness and pray humility over my proud and ugly heart. And I pray that the Lord would help me to put on and clothe myself in love. I am bearing the name of Jesus so whatever I do, despite what has been said or so minimally done to me, I must. choose. love.

No comments:

Post a Comment