Sunday, December 12, 2010

Five Days of Favorites: Day 1

Forgive my lack of blogging lately, our modem died so blogging went on hold for a bit. In the meantime I've been cooking up a storm for my fellas and out of town relatives. My oh MY how much my role has changed now that I have a full-time husband! I love having him home, truly. But let's be honest...we joke often about his love language: food! And his little boy takes right after him :) When Billy was traveling 70% of the time that was 70% less meals I had to work on. And 70% less of a grocery bill. So in the past two weeks I have been on a deal searching, meal planning, grocery shopping, food cooking frenzy. I love trying new recipes from friends and I've found several favorites since we said the vows 2 1/2 years ago. In spite of the weather and season I thought I'd spend a few days sharing some of my fall/winter favs!

Five Days of Favorites, Day 1: Brunswick Stew
This is from a sweet friend that brought us a meal after Luke was born. I love it for several reasons. First, it's delicious. Second, it's very easy. Third, it stretches a long way, which is GREAT for the budget - and great to serve with friends :)

1 whole chicken (3 lbs)
1 1/2 cups chopped onion
1 tbsp veg. oil
3 (16 oz) cans whole peeled tomatoes, undrained & chopped
1 (8oz) can tomato sauce
1/4 cup sugar
3 tbsp white vinegar
2 tbsp worcestershire sauce
2 tbsp flour
1 cup water from boiling the chicken
1 lb red potatoes, peeled and chopped
1 (16 oz) can baked beans
1 tbsp hot sauce
1 1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp ground tumeric
1/2 tsp pepper
1 16oz can corn, drained
1 16 oz can lima beans, drained (** optional - we HATE lima beans so we never include them)

1. Cook chicken in dutch oven in boiling water to cover until cooked through. Pull apart and chop chicken. Reserve
2. Saute onion and bell pepper in hot oil in Dutch oven until tender. Add chicken, tomato & next 4 ingredients.
3. Combine flour & 1 cup water, whisking until smooth. Stir into chicken mixture. Add potato and next 5 ingredients
4. Cover & cook over medium heat stirring occasionally, about an hour - an hour and 15 minutes. Add corn and lima beans, cook another 10-15 minutes.
**Yields 16 servings

ENJOY!

No comments:

Post a Comment