Monday, April 23, 2012

Real Foods = Major Changes

While my sister-in-law was recently in town with our adorable and ever-so-edible niece, Addi, she mentioned a blog that a friend mentioned to her.. 100daysofrealfood.com. It is based on the idea of eating without any - as in none, zero, nil, ANY - preservatives. 100% all natural and all good for you food. I've often been intrigued and very interested in this but the time it takes to rethink a menu, find appropriate recipes that are "allowed" and shop at multiple stores when necessary was daunting enough with one child. But thanks to Lisa, most of the leg-work is complete as her website and facebook page offer [free] menus, shopping lists complete with prices from Trader Joes/Whole Foods/Earthfare, and printable recipes. After browsing around and seeing if this was even possible with our budget and my time we've decided to take the plunge! We've made a few modifications to fit our lifestyle right now as we gradually transition to a healthier kitchen. Here's how we're approaching it:

1. I'm not getting rid of any previously bought processed/not-all-natural/not-organic goods. I can't justify the waste and we are just thankful for food in the pantry and refrigerator!
2. We aren't following her meal plan 100%. I'm using the meal suggestions and planning/preparing accordingly but hey if Luke doesn't like egg salad, no big deal. And if Billy prefers carrot sticks over celery sticks that's fine by me.
3. Her weekly budget is high for our needs. SO, we buy the most important things first and work around what fits in our grocery budget on a monthly basis. And as stated above, if I already have an ingredient in the house that doesn't fit her "criteria," I'm using it up before I purchase anything new.
4. We are not doing a "100 day challenge." We are slowly modifying our complete diet as we are able and are willing to make an exception here or there to eat out or splurge on a special treat. My hope is that within 6 months we are out of the main processed foods in our house and relying on what's in season and more natural alternatives, such as honey for sugar, whole wheat flour instead of white flour, etc.

This week we did our shopping on Saturday (the farmer's market and grocery shopping is so much more pleasant when my husband tags along!) and are only on day 2 of this "food makeover." I'll be sure to give an update at the end of the week to share how we're making this work. For now, run over to 100daysofrealfood.com and check it out for yourself. So worth it!

No comments:

Post a Comment