Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Finally, a review of my favorite books!

 ***UPDATED*** (I forgot one!)
I'm finally sitting down to do a quick "review" of several books that have captured my attention lately.  Er, more like in the past year and 3 months from when I set a goal to read a book a month.  Remember the whole organization notebook, new years goals, etc from January 1, 2011?  I still have my notebook that contains my finances and coupons, plus a few craft/cooking ideas and Moms Sew Sassy receipts.  I did not read a book a month, I do not do a monthly menu plan and I do not keep a section for school/toddler ideas nor do I make additions to the gardening section.  But I'm ok with that.  Right now I have time to get things done, not write or plan to get things done.  ANYWAYS, the point of this post: Book Reviews.  Keep reading to find out my two favorite books of the year-ish. :)


The Help
So. Good.  Billy and I got away on a little "baby-moon" back in September to San Francisco.  I was flying by myself to meet Billy there while he was away on business so I picked up The Help and never put it down.  I started reading it on the way there and finished it on our flight home.  I have a thing for books written about real life, especially down South.  Such a fun read.  I think the book was better than the movie, but both were fabulous.

Bringing Up Boys by Dr. James Dobson
When Luke hit 15 months I found myself dumfounded.  He was rough.  He was dirty.  He was distracted.  He was wild.  He is a boy.  And I am a girl.  We were constantly on the go from one thing to the next and while I loved exploring that season with him, I was really having a hard time understanding HIM.  It was most obvious in situations when we would play with little girls.  IE: give Luke a piece of paper and give his little girl friend a piece of paper.  Luke's paper is completely covered in markings and ripped in two within 3 minutes and the little girl is still coloring just a small corner of the paper.  OR at the pool, little girl is sitting on the top step of the pool pouring and dumping gently and carefully while Luke is trying to run and jump in at any given moment despite his inability to swim (disclaimer: I realize not all children are like this but this was my experience during this season).  This book spoke to the many different wirings of boys and I'm thankful for Dr. Dobson's insight into their emotional, mental and physical capacity.  It helped me understand how my little one could/couldn't focus, could/couldn't hear, could/couldn't sit still, etc.  It gave helpful ideas on how to work around the way he was and is wired.  I'm not in agreement with the book in totality but this was a HUGE help as we ventured into learning how to teach Luke in a way that he understood.

Fearlessly Feminine by Jani Ortland
SO GOOD.  This book defined biblically - not what people suppose is biblical - but truly defined biblical womanhood and the power and mission God has given us.  As the review online states, "it tackles many sensitive subjects such as submission and materialism, feminism and beauty, motherhood and marriage..." And I liked that.  I like tackling the sensitive issues.  I want to know.  Some issues I've not known where I stand because I don't know where the Bible stands.  But this book was helpful in teaching me and breaking molds that I found in my own life don't line up with the things God is passionate about.  For the woman who has a more feminist disposition regarding women in the image of God, I think you'd be pleasantly surprised by this book.

Give Them Grace by Elyse Fitzpatrick
I've read several "parenting" books but this is so far my very favorite.  The subtitle reads: Dazzling Your Kids with the Love of Jesus.  YES PLEASE.  This book totally opened my eyes and heart to God's grace in my own life and how my goal as a mother is for my babies to experience and understand the magnitude and depth of God's never-ending love and grace for them.  Yes I want obedient children and yes I want them to be respectful...but most of all, I want my children to know JESUS.  I want them to KNOW know KNOW Him to the depths of their being.  I want my heart and attitude to reflect the character of Christ and so often my response is out of frustration or an agenda of my own.  I was convicted by how little glory I give to the Lord when parenting my babies when their is a "win."  When I see God at work in their heart, the praise goes to Him not my abilities.  I was so humbled reading this book and so thankful that it wasn't just another book on how to make your kids listen and obey, but how to truly dazzle them with the love of Jesus!!

Don't Make Me Count to Three by Ginger Plowman
So this is a practical book with practical examples and scenarios of teaching your children the blessing of submitting and obeying right away...without counting to three :)  I loved her sense of humor and humility while writing out her own life experiences with her children.  She also offers several printable tools online and in the back of her book which I've found profitable to help me remember appropriate responses or ways to handle certain situations.  Granted, Luke is only two so our conversations aren't nearly as long as some of her examples but you get the idea...

Shepherding a Child's Heart by Ted Tripp
I read this in seminary for my counseling courses but children were not in the near future at the time ;)  I'm currently in the process of re-reading it and it is just as good the third time around.  The biggest take away for me has been defining obedience: "Without challenge, without delay and without excuse."  It is all about appealing to their hearts instead of just behavior modification.  I want to guide my boys' hearts to the feet of Jesus, to live a life submissive to Him and so I appreciate this book's instruction and guidance for parents.

As for my favorites.....  the runner up is.....

Orphanology by Tony Merida
After hearing Tony Merida speak at our church, Southbridge Fellowship (ps-probably the best sermon I've ever heard in my life), I couldn't wait to read his book.  Hearing his heart for adoption and how their family has walked through it multiple times was inspiring and intriguing to say the least.  I wanted to know more. I've always known that adoption is at the very core of the gospel but hearing him speak and seeing the pictures really made it real to me.  So, I picked up the book on Monday and didn't put it down until Friday when I finished it.  I can't write words that really speak to how wonderful this book is, but if you are considering adoption, curious about adoption, want to read amazing stories about adoptions, or want to know how much God cares about adoption, then you need to read this book.


And...my very very VERY favorite book so far - and maybe ever - is......

KISSES FROM KATIE.
You need to read it.  Now.
This is a story of a young girl, a year younger than myself, who is currently living in Uganda and has 12 (GASP!) legally adopted little girls.  She has culturally gone above and beyond what anyone could think or imagine.  She has learned medicine.  She has learned motherhood.  She has learned non-profit organization.  She has learned heartache.  She has learned sacrifice.  She has learned death.  She has learned what is at the heart of Jesus: Caring for the widows and orphans.  The stories she shares make you feel like you are there walking with her on the dusty roads.  The excerpts from her journal entries make you want to cry tears of joy, sorrow, laughter and praise.  With every word that was written I felt like my heart drew closer to the Lord and gave me a deep fire and passion to take God's word seriously.  I cannot do this book justice by writing about it.  Please go buy it and read it and bask in the amazing testimonies of God and what He is doing through one girl who is living on mission in Uganda.

No comments:

Post a Comment