Monday, August 30, 2010

Canned Peaches

For the past year Billy has been encouraging me to start canning. It seemed like a lot of work and quite honestly, I wasn't interested. But now that we have a little boy that eats as much as I do in one day - and he's 6 months old - I've got to keep an eye on that grocery bill of ours, and I genuinely want him to have fresh, healthy food on a regular basis. So, last week since I was late to Yoga and got locked out (crazy strict rules, apparently...) I went ahead to the Farmer's Market since I had a couple hours to kill without a baby on my hip. Out of curiosity, I asked a lady at a peach stand if she had any "seconds." She pointed to a huge flat of peaches and I was able to get about 60 peaches for $4!!! They weren't the prettiest and a few had bruises, but what a steal!

So, on Saturday my dad came over to hangout with Luke while Billy and I dove into the world of canning. We had a fun time and learned a LOT. We canned 10 quarts of peaches, and 9 out of 10 actually sealed. Here are a few pictures of our canning adventure...we now have a pantry full of peaches and I actually want to do it again!

My $4 peaches!

Boiling the jars

Peeling and slicing the peaches

Soaking in water to prevent browning

Into the jars they go

Waiting to be processed

Final product..10 quarts of peaches

The real hero of the day - thanks, Dad!






No comments:

Post a Comment